The first words out of my 8 year old son’s mouth this morning were, “Mom, can we go to VBS right now? I LOVE it SO much!” Did I mention that it was 6:30 am? I reminded him that it was actually still a little early. “Let’s eat breakfast and get dressed first. We actually have a few hours before it starts,” I said.
You see, this is the first year my son has attended VBS. And honestly, it’s been 30+ years since I last attended one. While I grew up attending a Christian church and VBS, this has been the first year my family has been able to attend since settling into the East Mountain community.
And oh this VBS experience…it’s been such a fulfilling week! As a first time volunteer here are the key takeaways I have witnessed so far:
- This week will make a significant impact on these children’s future. Memories will be made and believers will be strengthened or even created. When you consider that 43% of Americans who commit to Christ do so before the age of 13 and 64% of born again Christians do so before their 18th birthday, you realize that MCC’s investment in VBS has a direct impact on children and our future.
- Volunteering for VBS has provided me with the opportunity to connect with others in the church. I have spent more time connecting with other Men and Women of Christ, building relationships and witnessing servant leadership this week than I have in years!
- Volunteering for VBS is good for the mind and body. Giving my time to these kids has been an incredibly rewarding experience and now that I’ve gotten a taste of it I want to do it even more. The bible says that it is more blessed to give than to receive, and that principle is especially true as we volunteer for VBS.
- VBS impacts the community. MCC’s VBS has the opportunity to impact our community by setting an example of organized and safe fun for kids. But much more than that, while we invite children to attend, the less visible impact is on families of these kids. Some kids who attend VBS don’t belong to a church and this is an opportunity to expose these children and their families to the gospel.
So, as I anticipate my son waking tomorrow with the same request, I am thankful for the members of MCC and ‘I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth.” – 3 John 1:4
On Sundays, we have three options for Worship & Praise! Please join us:
- First Service at 8:30 & Second Service at 10:30am (both indoors)
- Via live-stream at 8:30am on Facebook
“... submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.”
“Outdo one another in showing honor.”
“By this all men will know that you are My disciples,
if you have love for one another.”
Here is what you should know and expect, as you join us for worship:
Gathering to Worship Together at MCC
When we gather on Sundays, our unity is expressed by how we serve one another in Christ. Please join us in extending grace to each other amid our differing perspectives and different views about how to live in this time. The Lord has exhorted us:
May the Lord be glorified in our midst, and in His body. We can’t wait to see you!
“ ... to the praise of the glory of His grace ...”